Drs. Galligan and Villa Dental Studio in Staten Island, NY offer different kinds of restorative, preventative and cosmetic dentistry, including some orthodontics options. One of the most popular is Invisalign, also called clear braces, it is an amazing way of straightening the teeth without anyone even knowing it is being done. As with any sort of orthodontics, though, there are pros and cons of Invisalign. Let us consider them here.
As your preferred dentist in Staten Island, we are going to be able to discuss all of your dental goals with you, and if you can benefit from tooth straightening, we may suggest the use of Invisalign. Not everyone can qualify, and we will go over the different pros and cons of Invisalign to be sure it is right for you.
The pros or benefits of using Invisalign are many, and include:
- More discreet – Because Invisalign counts on clear aligners rather than metal wires and brackets, no one will even be able to see that you are using the system. It looks natural and makes most patients much happier
- More comfortable and safe – Easily one of the most important benefits is that the Invisalign clear aligners do not irritate the soft tissue of the mouth or put you at risk for injury by the wires and brackets. They just slide on and off and make it easy to wear them throughout the day or night.
- Eating and speaking is natural – Unlike braces, Invisalign allows you to continue eating a normal diet and speaking as you have always done. Simply remove them before eating and then clean the teeth and aligners before wearing them again
On the disadvantage side of the pros and cons of Invisalign, we must consider:
- Not for everyone – We did already mention this, but it is important to remember that not all issues can be treated with this approach.
- It’s up to you – If you are not someone with self-discipline, it may be unwise to choose Invisalign. You must wear them 22 hours per day, remove them to eat, and keep them clean, and this can be time consuming. Self-discipline is essential.
- Timely – They are not an instant fix, and are often just as time consuming as other kinds of orthodontics, requiring six months to two years to finish the work.
Contact Our Staten Island Dentist Office to Speak With an Invisalign specialist
Those are the major pros and cons of Invisalign. If you have questions, feel free to give us a call at our Staten Island, NY office at 718-984-7700. You can also use our online contact form and one of our staff will get back to you promptly.