How long do dental implants generally last? This is a fairly common question and for some it has to do with concerns about the price, while others pose the question because they want to determine the best solution for their dental needs. Unfortunately, there is no “one size fits all” answer about the lifespan of dental implants. Drs. Galligan and Villa Dental Studio in Staten Island, NY typically tell patients that their dental implants can last for decades (with proper care), but it also boils down to a short list of possible factors.
As your preferred dentist in Staten Island, we want to ensure that the lifespan of dental implants is as long and healthy as possible. However, we also let all of our patients know that the health of this restorative dentistry treatment depends on issues like:
- Lifestyle – Do you smoke? Are you a diabetic? Do you take good care of your teeth and gums? These issues can actually affect the lifespan of dental implants.
- Gums – Are you struggling with periodontic issues (gum disease)? If so, that may actually rule out dental implants if the condition is serious enough. However, if you have your issue treated properly, it should not shorten the lifespan of the implants.
- Bruxism – Tooth grinding is a bit of a problem where implant dentistry is concerned. The use of durable porcelain crowns can offset damage to the teeth, but if you are a major clencher, an appliance may be needed.
- Health – Though it is a wonderful form of restorative dentistry, and that always improves health, if the patient is in very poor health, it can be problematic. A bone graft may improve some outcomes.
- Skill of the dental implants specialist – This is just as important as your health, and the skill level of our provider can affect how long the implants last.
Fortunately, our team is skilled and knowledgeable in implant dentistry and is ready to help you determine if it is the right choice.
Contact Our Staten Island Dentist Office to Learn More About the Lifespan of Dental Implants
Eager to know if you are a good candidate for implants? If so, feel free to give us a call at our Staten Island, NY office at 718-984-7700. You can also use our online contact form and one of our staff will get back to you promptly.